Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Name that Wizard.

THE NAMING OF A WIZARD

I have been working on a new novel - an epic fantasy. You know, with wizards, goblins, dragons, and a magic sword?

Wizards love their balls - fireballs!
 

It's great fun using the old imagination to come up with a mythical world, magical spells, hideous beasts, and that sort of thing. What I'm having trouble with is naming my main character - he is a grumpy Wizard.

There are some great Wizard names that I could borrow from:
  • Merlin - the old classic, maybe too old and classic
  • Albus or Harry - the modern wiz names, too soon, can't go there
  • Gandalf - that's like a retired jersey number, a no go
Maybe a mashup of some well known Wizard tags would work - Ganderlin sounds Wizardy. Or Albandorf? 
Orko wants to change his name

The thing is, Wizards are typically from a made-up land where names are also made-up...so perhaps I should make-up a name...not perhaps, I NEED to make up a name. This is a chance to add to the world building I'm attempting to do in the book. It just wouldn't feel authentic if this wizard's name was Gary. Even just switching a letter or two gives it the feeling of a name from another world. Garvin (close to Gary), now that's a Wizard's name (from the awesome MYTH book series by Robert Aspirin).
But what if I did name my Wizard Gary? It could add to the character's personality. He could be traumatized/resentful by being a Gary, when he should have a Wizardly name like Ganderhoff. He could be so embarrassed by it that he insists to be called by a title instead of a name, ie Wizard, or Sir, or Master, or Master Wizard Sir.
Gary the Wizard ... I'm still not convinced

Okay, I think I've convinced myself to go with Gary...and Gary has a friend named Ganderhoff.
What do you think readers?

No comments:

Post a Comment