Tuesday, March 30, 2021

UNSEEN ACADEMICALS - TERRY PRATCHETT

Unseen Academicals


- Terry Pratchett -

Another episode of the crazy wizards of the Unseen University taking on something out of their comfort zone. This time, the over eating, sedentary, extra-old, overly-academic, unathletic, gang of magic 'users' take on the old game of football (aka soccer). The jokes come from the difference between the actual game of soccer and the perception of soccer by a non soccer fan...which I'm assuming would describe most readers of Terry Pratchett. 

So, there is this perception that football is more than just the game of kicking a ball around a field. It is all encompassing to some folk, ie where you reside determines what team you like. You support that team no matter what. Then there is the crowd behaviour during a game. I'm thinking of the hooliganism that used to take place. The fighting, the rioting, etc. Pratchett takes this to a new level. Anything to an extreme is funny. So selling pies in a crowd of fighting fans is funny, especially if they are a good deal like 3 for 5 knuts. 

There is another storyline involving a cook from the university and a goblin. This storyline takes up most of the book, and kind of leads nowhere. Which is frustrating and disappointing. One of the few down points I've ever had to read through with Pratchett.

Back to the positives folk. There were plenty of laughs. Plenty of the misinterpretations that cause confusion which leads to humour. The book was not missing any of that. It wasn't overflowing with it either. I wouldn't put this book on Terry's top ten list, or top twenty list, or if there were a top thirty...it wouldn't place on that one either. So, not his best. But a good try nonetheless.  

The best part of this book for me was actually the purchase. I was at a local thrift shop perusing the books as I always do. I happen to look on a shelf I haven't looked at before - the hard cover novels. I know, it sounds funny, but maybe you just had to be there to understand? Anyway, I spotted this book right away and to make the purchase even sweeter was that the book was only $1...and an orange tag. That day orange tag items were 90% off. Therefore, get the calculator out, I only paid 10 cents for the book! It was well worth it.

Terry Pratchett's Unseen Academicals

Book bargain at 90% off

This book hasn't put me off Pratchett and his hilarious Discworld series. The other dozen I've read have been very funny, I think this was a 'one-off'. Even if I don't talk about the actual story I will always have that treasure hunting tale where I found a Terry Pratchett book for 10 cents.

If you would like to buy this book off of me, I'll sell it for $2. It's a great hardcover, wonderful story, and would go great in anybody's collection.

I have a little video review of the book here :




No comments:

Post a Comment