Tuesday, April 20, 2021

SLEEPING MURDER - AGATHA CHRISTIE

SLEEPING MURDER


Right to the end, Christie keeps the secret right to the end! Ah, such a great book. One of those classic cozy mysteries where she peppers clues along the way and by the last page you are thinking, "why didn't I see that!"

Sleeping murder is a strange story involving a young woman who moves into a house and remembers a murder from when she was a toddler. It turns out she lived in this house when she was young, however due family circumstances she moved to New Zealand and was adopted by relatives. She returns and by coincidence stumbles upon this house - that is when she wakes up a sleeping murder!

There are three or four prime suspects that keep you guessing to the end. They all have good motives. They all have some sort of weakness that makes them seem likely murderers. They are all at the scene of the murder on the night. I love reading through a book like this and thinking, he's got to be the killer. Then a chapter later my theory changes and I suspect another fellow. Ah, great reading.

This is a Miss Marple case, but she doesn't play a big role in it. More of a mentor than a detective in this story. The clues are mostly found by the hard work of the young lady and her husband. Marple only makes a few suggestions at the end of the novel to tie things together. I didn't mind this, as I'm not a Marple fan boy, I'm a Poirot fan boy for sure, but I could read less Marple and be fine.

Poriot vs Miss Marple




No comments:

Post a Comment