Tuesday, April 27, 2021

THE PELICAN BRIEF - JOHN GRISHAM

 THE PELICAN BRIEF

- John Grisham

Shocked that I haven't read this one? Me too! I thought I'd read every Grisham book out there. Turns out I missed this one, and I'm glad I did. And, I mean that in the best possible way.

I just finished Gray Mountain a couple of weeks ago and was thinking that Grisham had kind of lost his touch. The Pelican Brief convinced me that he had. The Pelican Brief is one of John's earlier books, maybe his third. Back in the days of The Firm, The Client, The [insert legal term]...those awesome nail biting thrillers. It is 'classic' Grisham. There are murders, cover-ups, trips to the Caribbean, legal students, car chases, spies, plot turns, crusty FBI agents. You know, classic Grisham novels?! I flew through the four hundred odd pages and didn't feel any reading fatigue. On the other hand, while reading Gray Mountain I felt like I was climbing a mountain.

Essentially the book starts with the murders of two supreme court judges. Everyone seems to have a theory on who did it. One theory, by a fresh faced law school student, is soon causing more death and murder. This law school student hit the nail on the head by accusing an obscure criminal who was on nobodies radar. It turns out there are links with the President of the USA, the FBI, all those organizations. This student, Darby, cannot trust anyone and is on the run. She eventually makes contact with a veteran reporter, and together they bring the whole house of cards down. 

My only hang up with the book is the cover. The copy I have is one of those with gold writing on the cover. Very 90s, and not very appealing.


But, that was my only critique of the book. The rest was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment