Saturday, April 16, 2022

The Used Bookstore - That random book

USED BOOKSTORE TRIP

THE DRAGON ON THE BORDER by Gordon R. Dickson is a book I picked up today. It cost me $3.50, which is more than I like to spend on a used book, but it was for a good reason. 

I've been neglecting our local used bookstore!

Going to the bookstore - used bookstore!

Sorry Bookland. I've gotten out of the habit of browsing your shelves of fine new and used books. I'm taking the easy route and blaming COVID. Over the past 2 years I've only noticed the Closed sign in your door. I'm not often in the strip mall where you are located, only the rare evening when I'm picking up a greek salad from the take out place a few units down.

But, we are back.

I made an intentional visit to the store today for two reasons. First, was that Oscar is reading the WINGS OF FIRE series and is onto book twelve. It would be nice to find used copies of the book, possibly save a few bucks. Second, was that I wanted to throw some business Bookland's way and keep it open. Second hand bookshops are important to me.

We had some good luck.

Browsing the used books

The store stocks the Wings of Fire series - so I bought 2 more books for Oscar (since it only takes him a day or two to finish a book). They were new, BUT, we were headed to Chapters to buy new books anyway and the price was the same. So, best to buy local.

I was hunting for a few specific titles, to finish off series' I'd been working on. You know, 90s David Eddings fantasy epics and such. This store is usually the place to find something like that. But, no luck. 

I didn't want to leave with nothing since I'd made a trip here (all 1.5 km from my house) and wanted to show my support. So I went with the timeless trick of judging a book by its cover. I picked a book that was near the cash register that had an interesting (at least to me) cover.

The Dragon on the Border.

The Dragon on the Border

I've read Dickson before. Not a lot, but I think I recall liking his books. Oh well, I feel great about my purchase. All $3.50 worth.

Gordon Dickson book

What is your latest used book purchase?

No comments:

Post a Comment